Implant Dentist in Norwalk
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a replacement for the root or roots of a tooth. Like natural tooth roots, dental implants are secured in the jawbone. A small titanium post acts like a tooth root, and is surgically positioned into the jawbone beneath the gum line, and becomes the foundation for your replacement tooth.
Once the entire procedure is finished, your dental implant will look and function like a normal tooth, giving you the confidence you need to show off that great smile.
How do Dental Implants work?
To receive implants, you need to have healthy gums and adequate bone to support the implant. You must also commit to keeping these structures healthy. Meticulous oral hygiene and regular dental visits are critical to the long-term success of dental implants.
When dental implants are placed in your jawbone they bond with your natural bone. They become a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth, called crowns.
A metal post is surgically placed in the jawbone where the missing tooth is. Once the titanium post is placed, the next few months are crucial as the titanium post will need to fuse together with your jawbone in order for the implant to securely attach to the bone. This process is known as Osseointegration. This process results in a strong bond that is similar to what a real tooth offers.
After and the implant has become secure, a connector – known as an abutment – is placed on top of the dental implant to hold and support your crowns. The crowns are custom-made to match your natural teeth and fit your mouth.
Are you a good candidate for Dental Implants?
Not everyone is a candidate for dental implants, however a large majority of patients are. The most trouble occurs for dental implants that are placed into your upper jaw because of its close proximity to your sinus cavity.
In order for an implant to be placed into the jawbone, there must be a sufficient amount of room and bone integrity (to hold the implant) present, otherwise a patient will not be recommended to receive a dental implant due to a high likelihood of implant failure.
However, dental implants have very high success rates of up to 98% because of evolving techniques and offer superior stability over other traditional options such as dental bonding.
Benefits to receiving Dental Implants
There are many benefits a Dental Implant can have. Here are just a few.
- Improved appearance. Dental implants are designed to look and feel like your own natural teeth. With a Dental Implant you can eat, speak, smile, and more just as if it were your natural teeth.
- Improved speech. Dental implants are permanently held in place, so you do not need to worry about them moving around and becoming loose while you are talking.
- Easier eating. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem. Because Dental Implants are securely held in place, and replace a tooth that has been damaged, you will feel better about your smile. Dental Implants can give you the confidence you need to feel comfortable smiling.
- Durability. Dental implants are very strong, and if properly taken care of can last a very long time.
- Convenience- Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of having to remove dentures.
Call Us Today
If you want to improve your smile or if you have any questions regarding our cosmetic dentistry services, then please call our office at 562-863-5701. We’ll be happy to answer any questions, inquiries, or concerns you may have.